This is a really delicious and relatively simple tart recipe. The only fiddly bit is pushing the base mixture into the tart moulds, but even that is pretty straight forward.
The base is completely wheat-free and so completely gluten-free, too. This is important for your skin’s health. Gluten has been found to promote bloating and gut irritation in many people. Gluten is also thought to stimulate the leaky gut syndrome that inhibits your stomach’s ability to absorb valuable nutrients from your food.
The recipe also has a creamy topping made of completely dairy-free coconut cream and also contains no refined sugar. The most important feature of this tart is its taste. Truly delicious!
Serves: 12 tarts
For the base:
- 60g almonds
- 40g pecan nuts
- 60g cashew nuts
- 40g milled flax seed
- 150g pitted Medjool dates
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs cacao powder
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
For the filling:
- 2 x 400 ml cans of full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- 2 tbs set honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla powder
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 12 fresh strawberries, quartered
- 20g raw pistachio nuts sliced in your food processor
- In a preheated oven, toast the almonds and pecans for 5 minutes at 200°C until they start to darken. Be sure not to let them burn.
- Allow to cool and then blend in a food processor with the remaining ingredients for the base of the tarts. You’ll be left with a thick paste that sticks together when you press it between your fingers.
- Using a normal muffin baking tray, line approximately 12 holes with cling film. Press the base mixture into the muffin moulds to form the tart bases and then allow to cool for around 20 minutes in a freezer. Once firm remove from the moulds by lifting the cling film.
- To make the filling, remove your cans of coconut milk from the fridge being careful not to shake them. Open carefully and remove the set coconut cream from the top of the cans leaving the coconut water.
- Mix the coconut cream in a food processor with the vanilla powder, honey and salt until you have a thick creamy mixture. Add this mixture to your tart cases.
- Sprinkle with the pistachio slices and top with quartered strawberries.
- Serve immediately or chill covered for up to three days.