Borscht is a traditional Eastern European soup made from bone broth and beetroot. Beetroot is a great source of many nutrients and antioxidants including iron and folic acid. Folate or vitamin B9 is an important nutrient required for the growth of tissues and cell development. This helps your skin maintain its youthful elasticity and helps reduce the signs of ageing.
This soup with its beetroot and homemade bone broth really packs some powerful flavours and super healthy ingredients.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 650g beetroot cubed
- 400g carrots sliced
- 450g sweet potato cubed
- 600g tomatoes
- 200g kale
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 ltr homemade bone broth (see recipe here)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbs cumin powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- In a large lidded saucepan melt the coconut oil and fry the onions and garlic until translucent. Add the paprika, cumin powder, sweet potato and carrots. Ensure the spices fully coat your vegetables.
- Next add the remaining ingredients to your pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from the stove and whisk with an immersion blender until the soup is pureed.
- Serve immediately or freeze for later.