The flavour of the grapefruit in this dish works particularly well with the smoked salmon and the spicy chilli. It’s a nice starter dish but can be equally well served as a main dish too.
As well as providing a deliciously sweet tangy flavour the high Vitamin C content in grapefruit is wonderful for your skin. Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that prevents the free radical damage that subsequently triggers low-grade inflammation throughout your body. Reducing this low-grade inflammation can significantly improve the health and appearance your skin.
Grapefruit contains the phytonutrient carotenoid; lycopene which is responsible for the rich pink colour of the fruit. This particular carotenoid is reported to have the highest capacity to help reduce effects of free radicals.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 200g of smoked wild salad
- 1 onion sliced into very thin half rounds
- 200g organic baby spinach
- 2 Avocados peeled and sliced
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Plenty of black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Using your sharpest knife, slice off the top and bottom of the grapefruit’s skin. Cut away the remaining peel from the top to the bottom ensuring you remove all the pith as you do so. Now run your knife between the segment walls to release the flesh. Do this over a bowl to collect the juice and the grapefruit segments.
- Now add your avocados to this bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of chilli flakes adding plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- In your serving bowl mix the grapefruit, avocados and juice with your spinach and sliced red onion.
- Drizzle your olive oil over the contents of your serving bowl and gently toss ready for serving.