Obagi Nu-Derm helps to transform skin by addressing hyperpigmentation and improving visible signs of skin aging. It can only be prescribed, not bought over the counter.
When you are prescribed Obagi Nu-Derm your clinician will provide instructions on how to use it, as well as helpful information on what to expect.
The bottom line is that in order to ensure your Obagi kit gives you the results you want, you need to stick with it, even when you feel like giving up.
What’s the minimum I should use it for?
Generally a kit will last for 16 weeks – a good four months. However, it’s possible that your clinician will ask you stay on the system for a longer period of time, even as much as 24 weeks. It will all depend on the condition of your skin. For many people, the damage has been done over many years so it’s not realistic to expect a quick fix.
What happens if I stop using it early?
As well as needing patience, your Obagi kit is a financial commitment too. This is not a cheap product. So if you stop using it sooner than has been recommended then you could simply be pouring your money down the drain.
A good way of looking at it is that your investment covers 16 weeks of skincare that has been clinically tested and prescribed by an experienced and qualified clinician. So stick with it and make the most of that investment!
What if I get a bad reaction to the kit?
It’s perfectly possible that your skin will feel dry and flaky when you start using the Obagi Nu-Derm kit. If your skin is already lacking moisture then it is likely to become flakier. But even if your skin is young and oily, you will probably experience some sort of flake, or peel.
You can help by avoiding wearing make up completely, if you can, at least in the early stages. You probably already know that putting make up over flaky skin usually makes it look worse, not better. So be brave and go bare!
Remember, you can get advice from your clinician, as ongoing support is part of the Obagi programme. If you are worried or think that the flaking is going on for too long, just contact them for advice.
So what’s in the kit?
- A cleanser as prescribed by your clinician. Either a Gentle Cleanser for drier skin or Foaming Gel for oilier skin.
- A balancing toner to help adjust the pH level of your skin.
- A bottle of Clear, a prescription strength product containing Hydroquinone which will help to treat age spots, discolouration and pigmentation.
- An exfoliant lotion which helps to remove the dead cells on your skin, revealing the fresh skin underneath. This will help to keep your skin bright.
- A blender, another prescription strength product with hydroquinone. This will help to lighten the skin.
- A moisturising lotion to lessen the flaking. This can be used throughout the day to alleviate any symptoms.
- A sun shield to protect your skin from further damage. The Obagi Sun Shield has an SPF of 50 and includes UVA and UVB protection.
To get the best results from your Obagi Nu-Derm kit and the investment you make in it, it is advisable to choose a clinic that offers a free consultation, gives a guarantee for results, provides free reviews and advice as your treatment progresses, published client reviews and has experienced clinicians who know the Obagi system and are up to date on training. A good clinic will have transparent information available on all these points.
We understand this, because it’s how we work at Brigstock Skin & Laser. You are welcome to take a look at our own reviews from Obagi clients by clicking here. If you would like to find out more book your free consultation online now by clicking here or call us on 020 868 36730.