Creamy mushroom soup without the cream
Preparation time: 10 minutes excluding preparation of bone broth
Cooking Time: 1hour
Serves: 8 people
450g portobello mushrooms chopped
150g white mushrooms sliced
1/2 medium sized cauliflower including the stalk chopped
1 medium sized sweet potato cubed
1 onion chopped
2 cloves of crushed garlic
700ml of homemade bone broth (see recipe here)
250ml coconut milk
1tbs of finely chopped fresh thyme (save a couple of sprigs for a garnish)
Creamy mushroom soup on a blustery autumn day is delicious and this recipe is no exception. Unlike many mushroom soup recipes, this one contains no cream but tastes really creamy. The creaminess is provided by the cauliflower and in particular the cauliflower stalk. All in all, this is a wonderfully healthy soup with loads of nutrients to enhance your skin’s health. Not only does it contain all the benefits of a homemade bone broth, its also got the added nutrients from the cauliflower and the sweet potato. Tastes pretty good too.
- In a large saucepan melt a couple of tablespoons of ghee and gently fry your onions and garlic until they become translucent. Add the mushrooms and fry until soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and bring to boil. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the cauliflower and sweet potato becomes soft when prodded with a fork.
- While the soup is cooking, fry the white mushrooms in a pan using the remaining ghee.
- Remove from the stove and whisk with an immersion blender until the soup is pureed.
- Garnish with the fried mushrooms and a sprig of thyme. Serve immediately or freeze for later.