Most of us have suffered from spots at some point in our lives. They’re not good for confidence or feeling your best – but they’re a fact of life and for many people, eventually, they just clear up.
But if you have long-term acne, it can be really debilitating and lead to scarring. This article explains how Obagi CLENZIderm M.D.® Systems and other systems can be used to effectively treat your acne.
Firstly, it’s not your fault! Acne is a fact of life for some people, whether its genetic or a physical trait. And it’s great that acne is being talked about more on social media as a fact of life, as this helps to remove the stigma.
Secondly, something can be done, and it doesn’t need to be painful or overly expensive.
I’ve tried over the counter treatments but they don’t work
There are so many products on the market that tell you they’ll help to clear up your acne. But their effectiveness is limited.
For many people it is clinical treatments that are proving to be most effective. These treatments are only available with a prescription and ideally with ongoing support.
What clinical treatments are effective for acne?
Typical clinical treatments available on the NHS can include a couple of oral medications like retinoic acid or antibiotics. Although effective there are potential side effects:
Antibiotics may cause problems with your gut microbiome. Studies have associated this with various chronic diseases including obesity.
retinoic acid is very effective, but monitoring is needed for signs of depression. In addition, women must make sure they don’t become pregnant.
What other clinical acne treatments are available?
An alternative form or clinical treatment is the use of a topical Benzoyl Peroxide (BPO). It works as an antiseptic to reduce the number of germs on the surface of your skin. BPO is available in over the counter products but these are lower strength than a prescription-only product.
Some BPO treatments contain a macro-crystal form of BPO – these are too large to penetrate the skin and often remain on the surface.
So what is Obagi’s treatment?
Obagi’s ClenziDerm is the only prescription strength, physician-dispensed acne system with 5% liquefied Benzoyl Peroxide (BPO).
Because it uses a soluble form of BPO it penetrates the skin and the follicles rather than remain on the surface. In fact, the BPO in ClenziDerm is 1/10,000 the size of other BPO products which helps your skin absorb the active ingredients and clear up your skin quicker and more effectively.
How are the best results achieved using ClenziDerm?
Your clinician will recommend a system using three products to achieve the best results for your acne. These include:
- Daily Care Foaming Cleanser which uses Salicylic Acid and Menthol
- Pore Therapy which contains 2% Salicylic Acid, Menthol and Denatured Alcohol
- Therapeutic Lotion which contains the 5% liquefied Benzoyl Peroxide
Best results are achieved by experienced clinicians who carefully consider the specific aspects of your skin before prescribing frequency, application techniques and supplementary products/treatments.
What results should I see and how soon?
By using the three products together the bacteria that causes acne will be reduced dramatically.
This will lead to fast results. Tests show that there can be a 52% reduction in inflamed pimples in just 2 weeks and 34% reduction in non-inflammatory pimples. (These figures are a comparison with other Benzoyl Peroxide/Clindamycin combination products).
Are there other things I can do to help combat acne?
- Make sure you have a healthy diet, avoiding sugary foods and eating lots of vegetables. Dairy may or may not affect your skin condition – it’s not true for everyone but you can try cutting it out and see if it helps. Avoid vegetable oils that contain omega-6 and try to include some omega-3 in your diet. Omega-3 can be found in fish oils, eggs, or supplements taken from sustainably grown algae.
- Take your make-up off at night! A thorough cleansing regime will really help. Wash cosmetic brushes every week and change bedding frequently – especially pillowcases.
- Keep long hair, headbands or hijabs clean and – where possible – away from the face.
How do I get treatment?
You can’t buy Obagi’s ClenziDerm products over the counter as the products are prescription-only, so you will need to make an appointment with a medical clinic or prescribing clinician.
How do I know which clinic to use?
- Check with the clinic about the way they work. Do they sell the products without a consultation? Because for the best results you need a clinic that provides a free consultation and free reviews to make sure the product is working!
- Look up reviews for the clinic so you can find out about the results they have achieved for clients. You can find these on the clinic’s website, on Google reviews and Trustpilot.
- Ask whether the clinic provides a guarantee for results. Are they prepared to go the extra mile to make sure you get the result you desire?
- Make sure you are confident with the experience and training levels of the clinicians.
Brigstock Skin & Laser gives you with a good comparison to use with other clinics. If you would like to check out our reviews from clients who have had Obagi treatments please click here. And if you would like to find out more book your free consultation online now by clicking here or call us on 020 868 36730.